In the previous post, we touched on the importance of learning basic strategy(BS) if you're at all serious about limiting the house odds in BJ games. Billions of computer simulation calculations have been conducted that back the mathematically correct plays that BS charts provide. Of course you can purchase one of many BJ books on the market but be certain it's by a credible author; as in any information area, there's some inaccurate BJ info as well. The Web offers countless BJ sites with tons of info (ie BJ21.com) including printable BS charts. Note that there are some slight differences in BS decisions for identical plays (your hand total vs dealer's upcard) depending on the number of decks in play (1,2,4-8 deck options) and specific rules in force. If detail isn't your forte, then you might consider a single generic basic strategy and apply it for all regular BJ games; the latter would be preferable to guessing or making decisions based on those proverbial gut feelings. Over time, you can minimize house advantage with basic strategy. Seek out the following BJ rule options/conditions/table environment for more fun and lowering house odds at BJ.
1. Avoid dreadful 6:5 or even money (worse yet) payoffs on naturals(blackjacks); insist on standard 3:2 payoff games;
2. Playing fewer decks( single,double deck games) increases player advantage; not many decent 1-deck games left in Vegas (3:2)
3. Double down options; double on any two cards(DA2) and doubling allowed after splitting(DAS) a pair (many available)
4. Surrender option offered; you can find games with the late surrender(LS) variety, but it's often not posted..ask if it's offered
5. Dealer stands on soft 17 (S17); there's a few of these left and worth hunting for; most games are H17 (dealer hits soft 17)
6. Re-splitting of aces after initial split (RSA); few and far between particularly on the strip
7. Promotional blackjack payoffs (naturals); very rarely, a casino will offer 2:1 money on a blackjack ..run to this game
8. Play at tables that fit your comfort zone; do you enjoy the company of loud,grouchy,smoking drunks?..it can affect your play
9. BJ needs to offer some enjoyment; if that aspect disappears while you're playing, go see Fab Four Mania,hit a buffet,etc.
USA Today - General feeds
1 day ago